This is a web application for searching people in an LDAP Directory. It is
mostly suited for academic institutions that have implemented eduPerson schema per Educause and Internet2. However, this is not a
requirement; only features such as browsing of an Organizational Tree will be
It was written for the needs of the National
& Kapodistrian University of Athens, but can easily be adapted for
organizations or companies, especially if the eduPerson schema is involved.
The Directory Service application can work in both standalone mode
and inside Squirrelmail, as a plugin.
- Compatible with Squirrelmail 1.4.
- Shows information about an organizational unit.
- Shows a user's profile.
- Simple and Advanced Search modes.
- Browse an organizational tree, which is created automatically via the eduOrgSuperiorUri attribute.
- Download contact information as a vCard.
- Display contact information as a QR Code.
- Supports a 'privacy' attribute, allowing attributes to be considered as
private by the user and thus not shown in White Pages directories.
- Edit Profile page, that allows a certain set of attributes to be edited freely.
- Administrative Helper Pages: Edit of eduOrg information helper form +
- The application's LDAP Schemas, holding definitions and descriptions of the
various attributes, are stored in separate files and can be extended
- Supports the eduOrg and eduPerson schemas, as defined by the Internet2
Middleware, Architecture Committee, Directory Working Group (MACE-Dir).
- User can place a restriction filter: the result must belong to the
organizational unit(s) selected by the user.
- Interacts with Squirrelmail's Compose page, in a manner similar to the one
of the Squirrelmail Addressbook; that is, it has hyperlinks to add an email
address to To:, Cc: and Bcc: fields in the compose window.
- Supports some kind of interoperability with the Shared Folders
(useracl) plugin for Squirrelmail: can display a direct link from the
directory search results, to add a share to a particular user.
- Localizable / i18n - enabled.
- If a localized entry exists in the LDAP and it matches the user's locale,
for example: entry cn;lang-fr exists and user has French locale, it will use
this entry. It first converts from LDAP's UTF8 to the charset used in
Squirrelmail, using mb_string_convert() or recode() or iconv(), whichever is
- User can ask for many criteria to be ANDed in the search.
- Can display alternate mail addresses if they exist on user's LDAP object.
The Squirrelmail plugin was originally based on the ldapquery plugin by
Brent Bice, of Persistence Software Inc..